John is a recipient of multiple awards including:
- Stephan Cahn Award, Career Achievement in Juvenile Law, National Association of Counsel for Children, 2002
- Lifetime Achievement Award in Juvenile Law, National Association of Counsel for Children, 2014
- Seraph Award, Pikes Peak Children’s Advocates, 1987
- Special Recognition Single Accomplishment Award for Outstanding Contribution in the Field of Child Advocacy, Pikes Peak Children’s Advocates, 1981.
John is the author of “A Study of Colorado Law and Procedures in Dependency and Neglect Proceedings,” Portland State University, 1979; Editor, “Legal Representation of the Maltreated Child”, National Association of Counsel for Children, 1980. He has been frequent lecturer for the El Paso Bar Association, Colorado Bar Association, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, Professional Education Systems, Inc. and National Association of Counsel for Children. Topics of his presentations included Representing Abused Children, Child Custody, Interstate Custody, Marital Property Division and related divorce issues.
- Admitted in 1972, Colorado, U.S. District Court, District of Colorado and U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
1976, U.S. Supreme Court
Law School Attended
- University of Colorado, Class of 1972, J.D.
- Colorado State University – Pueblo Class of 1969, B.S.
- US Army Reserves, 1972-1982, Hon. Discharge, Rank at Discharge Captain
Associations & Memberships
- El Paso County Bar Association, The Colorado Bar Associations
- Colorado Municipal Judges Association
- National Association of Counsel for Children (Member, Board of Directors).